At Del Mar Dental Arts, we love seeing the big smiles on our patients' faces after teeth whitening. It's amazing how a relatively minor cosmetic procedure can make such a big difference in the way your smile looks, not to mention how it increases your self-confidence. Dr. Alhamdi offers two different professional options, both of which are strong enough to give you fantastic results while also being safe and gentle for your enamel. If you’re ready to erase years of stains and discoloration with teeth whitening in Carmel Valley, contact us today to schedule a consultation!
What Causes Teeth Stains and Discoloration?
Stains and discoloration can occur on the surface layer of your teeth as well as the deeper layers (or both). Here are just some of the reasons it occurs:
- Red wine, coffee, and tea
- Smoking or chewing tobacco
- Discoloration from certain medications like tetracycline in childhood
- Age (the enamel layer naturally gets thinner with age, exposing the darker layer of tooth structure underneath)
- Blunt force trauma can turn a tooth dark gray
- Developmental defects in the enamel
How Does Professional Whitening Work?
As a cosmetic dentist in Carmel Valley, we offer two whitening options to fit everyone's needs.
Zoom! In-Office Whitening
Zoom! is done in just one visit that takes around 90 minutes. Here’s what you can expect:
- First, we'll put protective gel on your lips and gums before applying a whitening solution to your teeth. Although it's strong enough to remove stains on its own, we combine it with low-energy UV light to make it 40% faster and more effective.
- Then we'll whiten your teeth in 15-minute increments, during which we'll closely monitor your results and make sure your teeth don’t feel sensitive.
- When your treatment is done, we'll talk about the best way to maintain your results at home.
Opalescence Take-Home Kit
Opalescence is a wonderful product that whitens your teeth more gradually from the comfort of your home. It takes just two appointments to start. Here’s how it works:
- We'll begin by taking impressions that will be used to make custom whitening trays that fit your teeth perfectly.
- Then you'll return in 1-2 weeks to pick up your trays and get a supply of whitening gel. We’ll also go over the instructions and answer any questions you have.
- For about two weeks, you'll wear the trays each day for 30 minutes to several hours, depending on the concentration you use (stronger concentrations are used for less time).
How Long Will Your Results Last?
Many patients maintain their results for anywhere from 1 -3 years. Depending on how much red wine, tea, or coffee you drink, you’ll probably want to touch-up your results at home about once a year. You can also use the following tips to help your teeth stay white as long as possible:
- See us for regular checkups and cleanings.
- Do well with brushing and flossing. You may also benefit from an electric toothbrush and whitening toothpaste, which will do a better job of removing surface stains each day.
- Don't smoke and try to limit foods and beverages that stain your teeth. When you do enjoy red wine or coffee, swish with water several times afterward.